Monday, January 18, 2010

Simple Rituals

I love rituals... as a Catholic I adored the simple rituals of the faith... lighting a candle, saying the rosary, kneeling, making the sign of the cross. As an evangelical Christian I loved the rituals of prayer, quiet time, and the lord's supper. Even when I was involved in bdsm I loved the rituals of preparation, dressing up, and focusing on my headspace.

As an atheist I missed rituals. Two years without rituals has made me lose my inner focus. I have cried over the loss of Magick in my life and want it back again. I believe that through rituals I can find serenity and Magick.

At the beginning of January I started focusing on ways to bring ritual back into my life and Magickally they appeared. My good friend B gave me a present- a huge box of crayons and a colouring book of mandalas- mandalas focused on the Sacred Feminine! How serendipitous! So I started a morning ritual: I put on some healing music and I colour a mandala. As I do, I find myself meditating on the Goddess presented on the mandala... and from there my mind wanders. I think about my life, my day, my wishes, my dreams. I meditate on specific colours and their Magickal meanings. I give respect to the various animal totems and plants that I give colour to.

Today I added another simple thing to my morning ritual. Yesterday I created my first altar, just near my desk here in my studio. I used a few things that are meaningful to me- two needlework pieces of fairies that I made, a half-moon candlestick with 2 white candles, a dish of beautiful seashells, a silver symbol of protection from the middle east, and a small star motif tablecloth handquilted with various shades of purple. This morning I lit the candles, and a stick of my favourite Indian incense and found myself in a Magickal place- right here in my room.

These simple rituals brings joy to my morning. I rise earlier from my bed and look forward to my quiet time at my desk. It prepares me for my day and all the challenges it will bring. As I walk along this new path I will keep my eyes open to opportunities to add more rituals to other times of my day.

Blessed Be.

4 comments:

  1. ~your blog background is quite LOVELY! sounds like you are off to a beautiful start of connecting yourself and feeling grounded...as you walk along this new journey may you tred lightly...may your heart feel only joy from all you will experience and your mind be open and welcoming to all that you will be inviting in...tis a wonderful path to walk...i wish it brings forth all your are seeking...and as you said "keep my eyes open for opportunities" always opportunities...we just have to be willing to see! best wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment faerwillow. For those of us who are new to the path it is quite encouraging to hear from others! Now I shall look at your blog and add you to my quickly growing blogroll. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Meet: It is lovely to meet you. I love that you have shared your own "magickal" time ritual. I too came late to my path. I would like to invite you to come and visit. My main blog is not "witchy" but in title but we are in my home 3 generations of Wiccans making our way in this blessed space. I look forward to getting to know you better. Brightest winter Blessings my new friend. Linda in New Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog background. Simply beautiful. I'm looking forward to accompanying you are your journey.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete